Residents from White Plains participated in the Creative Aging Workshop Series, a series of 8 free 2-hour workshops that lets those 55+ learn to express themselves creatively in a safe and supportive environment. This session allowed residents from The Bristal – and others from the White Plains community – to create a “Box of Memories” with local artist Kim McCormack. Sessions alternated between The Bristal and the White Plains Public Library.
This is what Kim taught the group:
- How to make marbleized & textured painted papers
- 3D collage & assemblage techniques
- How to reuse items in a creative way
- Learn about art, focusing on the work of Joseph Cornell & Louise Nevelson and Romare Bearden
- Explore memories and create a visual depiction of your life story
At the end of the series, The Bristal hosted a culminating event where participants displayed their finished pieces. Below are some photos from the event. We’re looking forward to the next Creative Aging Series already!