April showers bring May flowers, and also laughs, since April is National Humor Month. Laughter can help relieve stress, boost morale and enrich your life, so humor is a goal well worth pursuing.
How do you manage this, though, if you’re stuck inside because of those April showers? Spending time watching a funny movie is one way to add some laughter to your day. Below are 10 movies guaranteed to make you giggle, along with links to their trailers:
1. Some Like it Hot. This classic comedy appeals to far more than “some.” Watch Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon ham it up as characters disguised as women who join a band with a singer played by Marilyn Monroe.
2. Doubtfire. If men posing as women makes you chuckle, then don’t miss this 1993 comedy starring Robin Williams as a divorced dad impersonating a nanny.
3. The Birdcage. Robin Williams strikes comedy gold again, along with Nathan Lane, as they play a gay couple plotting to make a good impression on their son’s future in-laws, who are ultra-conservative.
4. The Princess Bride. Are you looking for “wuv, twue wuv?” Find it here as the tribulations of Buttercup and Westley turn a fairy tale into a funny tale.
5. Groundhog Day. Bill Murray fans will love this story of a man who lives one day over and over again.
6. Caddyshack. If you can’t get enough of Bill Murray, and you also like Chevy Chase and Rodney Dangerfield, “gopher” it!
7. There’s Something About Mary. Despite some instances of gross-out humor, there are enough laugh-out-loud scenes to make this 1998 film a comedic gem.
8. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Matthew Broderick will always be associated with this story of a high-schooler who skips a day of school.
9. School of Rock. This film, featuring a very funny Jack Black, centers on a rock singer’s attempts to create a band of elementary school students.
10. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. What’s on first? If you loved these classic comedians known for their “Who’s on first” routine, put this movie at the top of your list.
These ten are all good movies to watch when the rain is getting you down or when you simply need a mood lift. As Mayo Clinic points out, “Laughter is a great form of stress relief, and that’s no joke.” They go on to note that laughter “actually induces physical changes in your body,” stimulating organs, activating your stress response, and soothing tension. Among the longer-term benefits are an improved immune system and pain relief.
Keep that in mind when you’re contemplating what good movies to watch: A comedy just might reduce your aches and pains, and allow you to focus on your funny bone instead. Enjoy!